These days, folks buying seafood online don’t typically call it “mail order Maine lobster.” E-commerce and cross-country shipping are now a part of many Americans’ everyday lives. Dozens of companies offer mail order Maine lobster under a different name: online lobster sales.
That said, we don’t care what you call it. We just want to ensure you get the best live lobster for the best price – shipped directly to your door. Below, you’ll see a grid for lobsters in the 1.5lb category.
|Company||Min. Order||Price/lb*||Price/4 Lobsters**||Shipping||Go To|
|The Crab Place||2||$59.00||$308.80||$86.95|
|Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound||2||$46.88||$187.50||FREE|
|Winter Harbor Lobster Co-op||2||$67.50||$154.99||FREE|
If you’re interested in other lobster sizes, be sure to check out our live lobster price directory. We have information and recommendations for crustaceans of all sizes – from smaller, 1.25lb lobsters to massive 5-6-pounders.
10 Steps to Buying Maine Lobster
If you’re searching for mail order Maine lobster, you might not know exactly how it works. The procedure is purposefully hidden from customers. Most companies like to take care of this process on their own without buyers bugging them about the ins and outs. Still, we know that live lobster buyers want to understand how lobster gets to their doorstep. We’ve broken down the process a bit to let you know what to expect.
- First, you’ll need to figure out how much lobster you need to order. This can be tricky, especially for first-time buyers. We have a helpful guide to deciding which size to buy. In general, know that a lobster will yield between 20 and 25% of its total weight in meat.
- Second, choose your company. We have several companies spotlighted on our site, but even then, it can be difficult to find the one that suits your needs. We have a guide to choosing a provider based on your order, but in general, look for good customer reviews, a variety of products, and sustainability accreditation.
- Third, place your order and choose your delivery date. Remember that next-day delivery might not be available if you order late in the afternoon. Each company has its own cut-off time, so check to see before placing your order.
- Fourth, the company will receive your order and begin packaging it. An employee will find lobsters in the correct size categories and pack them into a Styrofoam container with ice and gel packs.
- Fifth, your company will transfer your package to the shipping provider. Sometimes, the provider will pick up a bunch of orders, while other times, the company will drop these packages at a shipping office.
- Sixth, your shipping company will transport the order over night via air or ground. This will depend on how far the package needs to travel.
- Seventh, the shipping provider will send the package out for delivery with a local delivery person.
- Eighth, the delivery person will drop your lobster package at your front door. If you don’t think you’ll be home to receive the order, be sure to leave delivery instructions. To keep the lobsters at a safe temperature, ask the delivery person to place the package in building vestibule or in a shaded, cool area, such as the garage or under a tree.
- Ninth, unpack your order to make sure all the lobsters are alive. If you notice anything wrong, contact your company’s customer service as soon as possible, and make sure to take pictures. Have a dead lobster you’re not sure what to do with? We have a guide to help.
- Tenth, cook and enjoy! You’ve successfully received your mail order Maine lobster. For a first-timer, that in itself is cause for celebration.