While the price per pound for keta salmon is consistently less than most other types of salmon, shipping is still a big part of the overall cost. For this reason alone, if you don’t look around at different salmon delivery companies, you may end up paying just as much, if not more, than your next-door neighbor who’s feasting on sockeye salmon. Keta salmon prices are often advertised at less than $15 per pound, but by the time you factor in shipping fees, it’s hard to stay within this price point. Here are some of our current recommendations for wild keta salmon delivery companies, prices, and shipping costs:
|Company||$/lb||Min. Order Cost||Reviews||Rating||Website|
|Lummi Island Wild||$25.33||$57.00||21||4.8||website|
Keta Salmon as Pet Treats and Holiday Gifts
It’s worth noting that most pet treats made from wild Alaskan keta salmon are actually human-grade food products. Looking for a delicious, nutritious treat on a long hike? Keta salmon jerky can be a great choice for both you and your dog. If you catch your own wild keta salmon, be sure to clean, de-bone, and cook the fish before giving it to your dog or cat. Raw salmon may contain Neorickettsia helminthoeca. Pin bones can choke or otherwise lodge in the dog’s organ.
A lot of people buy wild Alaskan salmon as holiday gifts. In these cases, keta salmon makes for the perfect add-on purchase. Buy frozen, uncooked king or sockeye salmon fillets for friends, family members, or co-workers. but then throw in a few extra packages of keta salmon jerky for their dogs as well. Or maybe the pet treat is enough by itself.
Keta Salmon Shipping Costs and Buying Tips
- Not sure what’s a good amount of salmon to order your first time out? See if you can commit yourself to using at least 10 pounds of keta salmon over the next six months. That’s something like 25 servings. For a couple, that’s committing to eating salmon for lunch or dinner at least two times a month for the next six months. For a family of four, it’s only once a month.
- Maybe you have a salmon-loving family and a penchant for hosting parties and don’t mind cooking food for the occasion. It’s probably worth it to look for an even better price by ordering 20 pounds or more. Cook up the first 5-10 pounds in the first couple days and a well-organized freezer should be able to handle the rest.
- While you may have better luck in forming a local buying club for sockeye or coho salmon, don’t discount the possibility of buying keta salmon in bulk. Some fisheries sell multiple types of salmon and offer discounts based on the total amount of your order.
- By sticking to keta salmon jerky and other smoked products, you won’t have to pay extra for overnight shipping. But there may also be less of a deal when buying in bulk for these shelf-stable items.
- Because of their wide range and long harvesting season, not all keta salmon is the same. There is more variance than with other salmon sub-species. If you find a product that really speaks to your taste, keep an eye on when and from whom you got the salmon.
Take note of our Affiliate Relationships that may exist with this page and companies listed on it.