There are several types of caviar, or sturgeon roe, each with its own distinct flavor. Even though roe from other fish is still served in a culinary capacity, sturgeon roe is the only kind to be designated as “caviar.”
The Price of Caviar
|Company||# Types of Caviar||$/oz Range||Shipping||Order|
|Lummi Island Wild||3||$59-$112||$99+ Free|
|Vital Choice||3||$59-$170||$99+ Free|
Types of Caviar
- Beluga caviar comes from the beluga sturgeon, usually found in the Caspian Sea. It is considered one of the best, if not the best, caviar in the world. Importing beluga caviar is illegal in the U.S. due to overfishing.
- Osetra caviar, made from Osetra sturgeon roe, is among the best caviars in the world. The osetra sturgeon is smaller than the beluga sturgeon, and its roe varies in color from light brown to dark brown. The lighter varieties of osetra caviar are richest in flavor.
- Kaluga caviar is the ethical cousin of beluga caviar. Often referred to as “River Beluga,” kaluga caviar rivals the taste of beluga caviar. Kaluga caviar price might also be influenced by their huge egg size, but the kaluga caviar price is most likely impacted by its flavor’s proximity to beluga caviar.
- Sevruga caviar is the most expensive type of caviar because it uses roe from a few different species of endangered sturgeon. The sevruga caviar price surpasses both beluga and osetra prices.
- Malossol caviar is actually any caviar that is treated through the malossol process. Malossol is Russian for “little salt.” Malossol caviar price indicates that the roe has been perfectly salted, and not over-salted. Malossol black caviar price can vary in price depending on the seller.
Our Favorite Caviar Brands
Marky’s believes in the high quality experience of caviar. The company states that caviar is, “the highest grade of gourmet, gastronomical pleasures one can indulge in.” Marky’s caviar price reflects these beliefs. For example, Marky’s kaluga caviar price ranges from $68 to $145. The difference in kaluga caviar price is based on whether the caviar is a fusion blend or part of a private stock.
Marky’s also offers avruga caviar, which is not actually caviar but smoked gold herring roe. Some customers prefer avruga caviar as a sustainable option to preserve sturgeon populations. Marky’s avruga caviar price is about $15 per ounce.
Black Pearl Caviar
This company offers five types of premium caviar. Black Pearl offers Black Pearl Iranian Beluga, Black Pearl Osetra, Black Pearl Royal Gold, Black Pearl Royal, and Black Pearl Imperial Gold. Black Pearl includes mother of pearl serving spoons with each order, just one of the touches that shows how seriously the company takes its product. Based on descriptions alone, it seems that Black Pearl Caviar price would be more expensive than other caviar companies. However, interested customers should think ahead. All of their caviar prices, like the Black Pearl Imperial caviar price or Black Pearl Royal Gold (kaluga) caviar price, are disclosed via live chat or phone. Orders are currently placed only to China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.
Peter Pan Seafood Company
Based on the technical definition of caviar, Peter Pan Seafood Company’s “caviar” offering is actually a delicious salmon roe. This Red Caviar (Ikura) from Alaska has high quality flavor and is commonly found atop sushi. Ikura is most desired in Asian markets, rather than European markets. Peter Pan caviar price is made available via email or credit application.
Romanoff caviar price is on the more affordable side because the company uses lumpfish, whitefish, and salmon, rather than sturgeon. The company prides itself on being the “affordable caviar” company, as well as its time-honored process of washing, salt curing, and pasteurizing the roe. The Romanoff black lumpfish caviar, among other types, sells for $6 per ounce on Amazon, and is available in many grocery stores.
Caviar Price Grids
Pink Salmon Caviar Prices
Coho Salmon Caviar Prices
|Lummi Island Wild||7oz||$89.14||$45.00|
Chum Salmon Caviar Prices
|Lummi Island Wild||7oz||$112||$45.00|
King Salmon Caviar Prices
|Lummi Island Wild||7oz||$89.14||$45.00|
Take note of our Affiliate Relationships that may exist with this page and companies listed on it.