King crab price points are much higher than other types of crab… Why is that? What can you do to avoid high prices? Read on to find out!
|Fulton Fish Market||$51.11||604||4.4|
King Crab Sizing Influences Prices
Size is one of the biggest influences on king crab price. King crab sizing can be confusing, even for seasoned crab buyers. If you’re ordering king crab legs, the pricing is based on how many legs are in a 10-pound order. For example, ordering a 9/12 size means that there are between 9 and 12 crab legs per 10 pounds. As the numbers get lower, the price gets higher. The largest size, 6/9, has the most meat per pound.
- 6/9 (Super-Jumbo/Super-Colossal): This specialty item that will cost you a few hundred dollars. Worth it!
- 9/12 (Jumbo/Reserve/Colossal/Gargantuan): Measuring in at about one pound per leg, these crab legs are perfect for a dinner party.
- 12/14 (Extra-Large): One of the most difficult king crab sizes to find at just under one pound per leg.
- 14/16 (Large): You might think “large” is synonymous with “jumbo,” but you would be wrong. These are smaller crab legs than the jumbo size and would require sides to support the meal.
- 16/20 (Medium): This size can accommodate a large party without breaking the budget, as long as you serve other dishes with the crab legs.
- 20/24 (Small): Weighing in at a half-pound per leg, these crab legs make for a terrific side dish.
- 24+ (Extra-Small): Some retailers do not carry the smallest size.
This can get confusing because when it comes to seafood, most people tend to believe bigger numbers equal bigger meat yields. Understanding king crab leg sizing can help you make better buying choices. You can read more about how king crab sizing works here.
Crab Fisheries Depend on Large Crab Populations
Your favorite online seafood retailer is probably paying close attention to Alaskan crab fisheries. The 2021 season’s closure of Bristol Bay’s red king crab fishery is one of the reasons red king crab is harder to find this year. Low crab populations can affect the market king crab price. If you regularly buy king crab, it might be worth it to keep an eye on your favorite fisheries. We will keep you updated on news that could impact your favorite seafood retailer’s prices.
What Can You Do to Avoid High Prices?
The best thing you can do is find the lowest king crab price, order immediately, and properly store them until you’re ready to cook. This means you’ll have to pay attention to when king crabs are in season (usually October to January) and place an order as soon as you can.
Most crabs arrive at your house flash-frozen. Transfer them to the freezer quickly. You can store crabs in the freezer for a few months before they start to lose quality. Thaw them out in the refrigerator when you are ready to cook them.
Take note of our Affiliate Relationships that may exist with this page and companies listed on it.