First-time buyers might not know the complicated process of ordering fresh lobster shipped. There are a few things you’ll need to prepare for your delivery. But we’ll get to that in a minute; first, you should figure out where you want to buy your lobster.
|Company||Min. Order||Price/lb*||Price/4 Lobsters**||Shipping||Go To|
|Fulton Fish Market||2||$27.00||$175.00||Free@$99+|
|Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound||3||$34.40||$142.50||FREE|
|Lucky Catch Lobster||2||$31.60||$107.99||FREE|
The above price grid includes information for some of the best lobster companies we’ve found online. These companies have been singled out because of the quality of their products and their commitment to customer service. For additional sizing options, check out our live lobster provider directory.
Getting Ready for your Fresh Lobster Shipment
Before you order fresh lobster shipped to your door, you’ll want to take stock of your kitchen. Do you have what you need to receive the lobster? This might sound like a strange question, but consider this: When the lobster arrives, you’ll want to prepare it as soon as possible. These companies provide overnight shipping for a reason – the longer a lobster is out of its environment, the lower its quality will become.
There are a few kitchen ingredients and tools you’ll want to have ready for when your order arrives. Importantly, you’ll want to have some storage space. Clear out a space in the refrigerator or your freezer to store the lobster for the couple of hours before your meal.
In some cases, it may be easier to store them in their shipping container. If this is the case, make sure you have ice and gel packs on-hand to stabilize the temperature.
Once you’ve done this, make sure you have the following tools at the ready.
- A pot large enough to cook the lobster. A stock pot that fits between 12 and 30 quarts should work, depending on what you’ve ordered
- Metal tongs. These are important for handling the lobster both before and after it’s cooked. If you boil the crustaceans, you’ll need a safe way to remove them from the water.
- A heat-proof surface, like a countertop or a cutting board. The lobster will need to rest for a few minutes after cooked. You should have a designated spot for this.
- Lobster picks and tools. Some people have no problem eating lobsters without specific tools, while others prefer to be prepared. If you need a claw cracker, make sure you have one.
- Unless you’re preparing to put your lobster into a recipe, we recommend eating the crustaceans with plenty of butter.
How to Alleviate Shipping Stress
While there’s little you can do to influence the shipping process, there are a few steps customers can take to ensure a safe delivery. When you order your lobster, there will usually be an opportunity to include specific shipping instructions. If you have a place you want the package delivered – either in the vestibule of the building, in your garage, or under a shady tree nearby – this is a great place to put that information.
Still, this isn’t always enough to ensure a safe delivery. On the day the fresh lobster shipped is expected to arrive, put a note out for the delivery person with the same information. This will help them know exactly what to do with the package if you’re not home.