Like all online shopping experiences, live lobster delivery begins with selecting a retailer. Lobster delivery companies are a dime a dozen these days, which means finding a reputable provider can be difficult. We’ve made it a little easier. In the grids below, you’ll find a variety of pre-vetted lobster delivery companies. The below options have high-value products, great customer service, and a good shipping infrastructure in place. We’ve included a variety of lobster sizes to help guide your search, but if you want more options, check out our lobster company directory.
1.25lb Maine Lobsters
1.5lb Maine Lobsters
2.0lb Maine Lobsters
The Lobster Shipping and Delivery Process
Putting in an order for fresh live lobster can sometimes feel like sending a request into space. In reality, companies have robust infrastructure to ensure their product gets to your doorstep safely and soundly. Below, we’ve outlined a few key steps to help shed light on that process.
- Place your order. You, the customer, select the lobster you want to purchase using the company’s online shopping cart. When possible, include specific delivery instructions, especially if you may not be at home when the shipment arrives.
- Preparing the order. When your purchase goes through, somebody at the lobster company will begin preparing the order. This includes finding lobsters of designated sizes and packing them into a Styrofoam cooler, usually with a cooling agent, like ice or gel packs. If you order lobster in the morning, the company will be able to process the purchase that day. If you place your order in the afternoon or evening, the company will prepare the shipment the following day.
- Transfer to shipping. When your lobsters are packed up, they will be transferred to the company’s shipping partner. Sometimes, the shipping arm will pick up the lobsters from the lobster processing locations; other times, the lobster company will deliver the package to the delivery service.
- Shipping express. Live lobster delivery is typically shipped express overnight. Depending on your location, the shipping provider will send the package to you on a truck or by air. Once at a terminus near your home, the package will be transferred into local shipping infrastructure for doorstep delivery.
- Delivery to your door. When the delivery person arrives, they will first check to see if you are home. If you are, you can collect the package from them directly. If you are not, where they leave the package will be at their discretion. We recommend posting a note indicating where the delivery person should drop the package – preferably in a shaded area, like under an awning or inside the garage.
If you want more tips for ordering live lobster, check out our additional buying guide resource.
What Constitutes a Fresh Live Lobster?
Live lobster delivery might seem like a gamble, but in most cases, it’s the best, most secure way to order fresh live lobster. But what does that term actually mean? For most, it indicates the speed with which a lobster is moved from the ocean to your dinner plate. The providers we have listed in our lobster delivery directory are known for shipping lobster quickly and efficiently – and not letting them languish in large tanks, like at the grocery store.
That said, accidents can happen, which means some live lobster delivery shipments can go awry. If your fresh live lobster shows up, well, not so alive, do what you can to document it. Take some pictures of the package, record the time it was delivered, and contact your provider’s customer service line. Most companies will have a protocol in place for if your lobster is dead on arrival, but it never hurts to have a little extra evidence – just in case.